Ultrasonic Scalers are nothing but the instruments that emit ultrasound to remove the plaque, tartar or the calculus. Ultrasonic Scalers work in the mechanism of high vibration which is very effective in breaking the calculus. The shock waves produced which disrupt the bacterial biofilms so that the plaque or the calculus can be flushed out with the jet spray of water or mouthwash. The turbulent action of the vibrating tip causes water to break into bubbles and those bubbles help in breaking the bond of the bacteria, resulting in the creation of an oxygenated environment which is hostile for bacteria. The vibrations are gentle and softer to the tooth while removing stains and plaque.
Ultrasonic Scalers use Magnetostrictive or Piezo-Electric technology.
Magnetostrictive technology operates 25,000-30,000 cycles/second and has elliptical motion. A low-voltage magnetic signal causes the tip movement. In these scalers all the sides are active. The handpieces maintain greater infection control.
Piezo-Electric technology operates 28,000-36,000 cycles/second and has back and forth motion and works along the side of the tooth. Only the lateral sides are active. Piezo dental scalers require less water to control heat.
The ultrasonic scaler has enhanced the practice of supragingival scaling and periodontal debridement. The ultrasonic scalers clean the root of the tooth with less pressure. It gives a smooth and clean texture to the tooth.
Cavitation, Flushing action, Lavage, Mechanical vibration and Acoustic turbulence are some of the working modes of the dental ultrasonic scaler.
Benefits of Dental Ultrasonic Scalers:
- Less fatigue for hand and wrist, as the instruments are light in weight.
- More efficient removal of dental plaque and calculus.
- Less tissue trauma as there is merely any sharp cutting edges.
- An antiseptic solution can be used for irrigation and disinfection.
- The smaller tip of a dental ultrasonic scaler at cleaning the challenging nooks and crannies.
- It helps in the reduction of bacterial plaque from the periodontal pocket.
Usage of Ultrasonic Scaler:
- The inserts should be packed unless it is in use.
- Handle with care.
- Sterilization is a must.
- Rinse and dry the inserts regularly.